Practical Nurses of Sheridan College

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Practical Nurses of Sheridan College

A network created for current, past, and potential nursing students of Sheridan College to combine and harmonize thoughts, emotions, learnings/teachings, and humour!

2 posters

What CPR course do we have to take?

kmschoon

What CPR course do we have to take? Empty What CPR course do we have to take?

Post  kmschoon Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 am

I noticed that there are 2 kinds of HCP cpr courses offered by most cpr places. one is 1 day and the other is 2.5. which one do we need, and when do we have to have it done by usually?
    Amanda
    Amanda

What CPR course do we have to take? Empty Re: What CPR course do we have to take?

Post  Amanda Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:18 am

Welcome to the forum kmschoon!

The difference between '1 day' and '2 or 2.5 day' CPR/First Aid courses, is whether it's your first time taking the course, or whether you are renewing your CPR. I believe that CPR can also be taken alone which is probably a 1 day course as well. Essentially, the route to go, is to take both CPR and First Aid together.

As far as which course to take, this is what the Sheridan website says:
    "A certificate in CPR (Basic Rescuer) and St. John Standard First aid for adults, children and infants "

My suggestions if you were taking this through St. John Ambulance:
    Standard First Aid with Level C CPR (Basic Rescuer) with AED[/url]
    This comprehensive First Aid course will prepare participants to assist in emergencies involving infants, children or adults. This is the prerequisite course for first responders. This course contains two primary components: First Aid and CPR. The Standard First Aid component covers the following modules: Emergency scene management, secondary survey, shock, unconsciousness & fainting, choking, medical conditions, severe bleeding, wound care, burns, bone & joint injuries, rescue carries, eye injuries, poisons, bites, stings, heat & cold injuries, head & spinal, and chest injuries. Level C CPR provides training in cardiovascular emergencies, one and two rescuer CPR for adults, infants and children, and artificial respiration. This course also provides an introduction to (AED) Automated external defibrillation in a hands on environment. This course is available in both the public and private format. The cost is $175.00 per person.

OR

Standard First Aid with CPR for Health Care Practitioners
    This comprehensive First Aid course will prepare participants to assist in emergencies involving infants, children or adults with multiple and severe casualties. This is the prerequisite course for nursing. This course contains two primary components: First Aid and CPR. The Standard First Aid component covers the following modules: Emergency scene management, secondary survey, shock, unconsciousness & fainting, choking, medical conditions, severe bleeding, wound care, burns, bone & joint injuries, rescue carries, eye injuries, poisons, bites, stings, and heat & cold injuries. HCP Level CPR, one and two rescuer CPR for adults, infants and children, and artificial respiration. This course teaches BVM and AED. The cost is $190.00 per person .

Either course would suffice, and give you great insight. Personally, I took the HCP course with St. John Ambulance, because I got to learn BVM's and AED's! CPR/First Aid courses have to be completely renewed every 3 years, and it's suggested that CPR (alone) be renewed every year. So at the least, you need to take the 2 or 2.5 day courses.

When I was in my first semester we started our clinical placements the 5th week, so we had to have our CPR/First Aid done by the 4th week. If your CPR/First Aid is not done, they won't let you go to placements until it is done, and if you never have it done i'm sure something not so great happens! My warmest suggestion, get it done as soon as you can! They check all your paperwork prior to you going to clinical!

I hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Amanda

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm